The Sunrise Association is dedicated to bringing back childhood to children who have had theirs tragically taken away.
Working with partner agencies around the world, the Sunrise Association will bring the magic created in New York and Israel to children everywhere, through the opening of new camps and multiple in-hospital programs.
While the physical and mental effects of cancer are hard to ignore, the financial impact this disease has on families is often overlooked. When a child is diagnosed with cancer, it is common for one parent to stop working in order to manage their child’s disease. Days are spent in and out of hospitals for doctors’ appointments and chemotherapy – or staying at home when their child is too sick to attend school. Having one less source of income, combined with endless medical bills, often takes a devastating toll on a family’s financial health.
It is because of this burden that we offer all of Sunrise’s programs free of charge to every camper. Since 2006, Sunrise Day Camps, Year-Round Programs and In-Hospital Recreational Activities have provided love and care to thousands of children and their families.
All of Sunrise’s programs are made possible through the generosity of our donors. Multiple fundraisers, large and small, are held all year from elementary school bake sales to our record-breaking golf outing and our community-wide Walkathons. The Sunrise Association is also fortunate in attracting a number of corporate partners who have made contributing to our unique programs an integral part of their corporate culture.
Childhood cancer does not discriminate, sparing no ethnic group, socio-economic class or geographic region.
How Vital is Sunrise Association?
- Doctors, child life specialists and social workers agree that the Sunrise experience has been transformative for both their patients and their siblings.
- Pediatric oncologists tell us that Sunrise has become as necessary part of the protocol to caring for the health of the children as the medicine they administer.
- The Feinstein Institute of North Shore LIJ is conducting research to confirm that children who attend Sunrise programs are tolerating their treatments better and are recovering faster
How Can You Bring the Magic of Sunrise Around the World?
Imagine the joy and healing power that Sunrise Association programs offer. These programs make the biggest difference in children’s lives…and you can, too!
- Become a Sunrise Benefactor by sponsoring…a cocktail reception, golf outing or a major event to benefit our campers
- Honor someone special with a tribute gift
- Establish a special endowment fund in your name or in the name of someone meaningful to you
- Be a Sponsor of Fun at Sunrise Day Camp, one of our Year-Round Programs or In-Hospital Programs
- Create a walk-a-thon team and join us at our annual SunriseWALKS!
- Give a gift from your heart
For information on how you can help Sunrise Association bring smiles to children with cancer, please contact Beth Fetner, Senior Vice President for Development, at 516.634.4196.